Valentines Day is fast approaching and what better way to celebrate than to make homemade valentines with your children! Bringing fruits and vegetables into this artful display of love and affection will not only make you beautiful, homemade valentines, but will also help your children see their fruits and vegetables in a new light, shall we say?
Turning your produce into stamps:
Many fruits and vegetables can be cut in half either horizontally or vertically, or kept whole in some instances such as for the mint leaves and the ear of corn. For smaller children you may want to precut the fruits and veggies for them.
Materials you will need to create your valentine:
- Fruit and vegetables of your choice (see list below for ideas)
- Paper and/or another stamp worthy surface (such as an: apron, a canvas, a re-useable bag etc.)
- Paper plates or bowls to put your paints in
- A cutting board and knife
Here are some GREAT fruits and veggies to get you started on your project…be creative and have fun!
- Celery and Carrots
- Brussel Sprouts (the more elongated the better)
- Mint leaves
- Button mushrooms
- Ear of corn!
- Romaine lettuce stalk (will look like a rosebud)
- Potatoes (you can even make shapes using a relief method)
These are just a few to get you started. Send us pictures of your innovative Valentines creations and we will post them here!
pictures are courtesty of : www.parents.com